Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gascon Malbec 2008 From Argentina - My Good Cheap Wine of The Week


Thanks to all those visiting this site for the first time, and a special what's up to those who have graced me with your presence in the past. I happen to be in a very good mood tonight, I feel as good as a 19 year old college boy finding out his girlfriend isn't pregnant. The reason for the good mood, is the fact that I've just tried a wine that for most of you fruit forward tasting wino's, you could grow to love. The Gascon Malbec 2008 from Argetina is definitely a wine that people who are big into the Australian wines can appreciate. Normally, when I deal with wines from Chile, Spain, and Argentina I tend to look for certain characteristics, such as soil and vegetation. What's interesting about this wine is it plays around with a more fruity characteristic, also incorporating chocolate on the mid palate, with a strawberry finish. Because this wine is so young, the alcohol is apparent in the nose (because it's young, you could let it sit for three to five years before consuming, the alcohol should digress by then), but if you know what to smell for, you'll also catch Cassis, dark currant, vanilla, and a hint of leathery tobacco. Upon tasting, there is great transition from beginning to mid palate, which is definitely something to be desired in a 12 dollar bottle of wine. I don't know about you, but I like anything that transitions from Cassis to chocolate to strawberry, and this wine does just that. This Argentinean Malbec is a good wine all in all, and for all of those who are looking for a pair with this wine, don't look for seafood or steak, but maybe a prime rib or chocolate dessert. Lastly, to all of you wino's, continue to love, live, eat and drink wine.

7 comments:

  1. good ish man, glad you are continuing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a bottle of this today on a whim. Im thinking about cracking it open to night and giving a try. Hope it is a good as you say it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bought this wine at cost plus about ten days ago and returned today to buy two more bottles. i liked it so much i decided to look google it and found your blog. the only thing i know about wine is what i like and what i don't like. for $11 this wine is yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the wine in NT next to costco for $7.99

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had this wine recently at a restaurant and loved it. The restaurant charged $28 per bottle. I am pleased to see that I can buy it for much much less. I am truly surprised by its price point. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this wine. I am new to malbecs so I was happy to discover just how good it is. This was also the first time to your website, glad I found it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this wine with a meal at Martha's Leelanau Table

    ReplyDelete