Friday, January 22, 2010

Carrick 2006 Pinot Noir (Central Otago New Zealand)

0122100128a_189794.jpeg

In the world of wine, one of the most sought after grapes is Pinot Noir. And the two main areas that produce consistent and quality bottles of Pinot Noir are Burgundy of France and California. Although these two regions are considered the top producers of Pinot, there are other places making some serious wines. Two places that my tongue have been enjoying as of late are Chile and New Zealand (Central Otago to be specific), and tonight I'm drinking the latter. So, I'm a cut to the chase, I'm drinking the Carrick 2006 Pinot Noir. On the nose there are aroma's of sour black cherry, hints of soil, and rose petals blended with hints of gaminess. I so, appreciate the old-world nuances on the nose integrated with the vibrancy of the fresh-fruit in this wine. Inevitably I transition to the tasting. Initially I taste in this bottle a combination of cranberry and sour Blackberries which traveled on the outside of the of my tongue through to the finish. In the mid-palate, there were beautiful hints of rasberries and rose petals shadowed by well integrated soft tannins which also translated to the finish. This is not only a well made wine, but the fruit and terroir are beautifully translated in this bottle. I found this Pinot at Grocery Outlet for 13.00, online I've seen it range from 22.00 to 37.00, so in essence, this is a steal. Go out and enjoy a great pinot at a great price.

P.S. If you really let the air in your y mouth when trying this wine you will also pick up a hint of strawberry on the initial attack of your palate, I love the red fruit integration this wine.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I used to adore Pinot, but it's been years since I've found one that wasn't at total waste of time, unless I spent a ridiculous amount. I read an article a few years back that talked about this very situation...the author blamed the low quality Pinots on the rise in popularity for the grape due to the movie Sideways. Apparently this rise in popularity has caused farmers to grow Pinot grapes in regions that are bad for the grape.

    I'll definitely have to make a run to my nearby grocery outlet to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete